Friday 2 September 2011

Puppies

Because I volunteer at the Dog's Home, I often wonder where all the dogs come from, and how they end up there.  I know sometimes it's unavoidable things like a death (I've heard some pretty sad things over the years), and a lot are strays that were injured or never reclaimed. I've also heard a lot of happy endings.  My own little dog came from the Home as a puppy and as luck would have it, she was the sweetest tempered little thing, because back then I knew less than nothing about dogs and how to pick one.  I chose one that I felt I could love.  How lame is that?  The RSPCA has a webpage with advice on how to pick a dog, and I'd like to add that buying a dog from the Home means that you can spend as much time as you like out there playing with them, talking about them to the staff, and picking one that matches your family.  And that's a lot easier to do if the dog is grown than it is with a pile of puppies.  Oh, and I've learned that you never buy a puppy from a fair or market, a petshop or from a breeder who won't let you see where the puppy comes from.
http://www.rspca.org.au/how-you-can-help/campaigns/pedigree-dogs/choosing-a-puppy.html
Roy, Fox Terrier, 8 years old


3 comments:

  1. Roy has the cutest expression on his face!! They were talking about choosing appropriate dogs on the ABC radio this afternoon. Very good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy is a very handsome doggy! Great advice too on finding the right dog.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Hugs
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice melinda, I think it's so sad when people get a dog and then give it back poor dogs must get so confused.
    I bought my little ruby a new dog basket today where would we be without our beautiful animals :)
    cute little dog in pic too
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. Please leave me some comments!