Saturday 18 April 2009

Sewing


I love sewing, and over the years I've justified the expense by saying it covers presents, soft furnishing, clothing etc. I also agree with down-to-earth:

"I have written before about not seeing knitting and sewing as a craft, but instead as part of my housework. I love to sew, but when I do, I am producing items for our home, or mending clothes or sheets, making curtains, or sewing on buttons, applying patches or restitching a hem. All things that allow us to keep using what we already own or to create what we need from what we already have. Looking after our clothes and soft furnishings is part of my house work. And so is knitting dishcloths, rugs, tea cosies, hats, mittens and scarves. So I don't feel I'm taking time for myself when I knit or sew, even though I love doing it, it's part of my housework."

and with bloom:

"Having not hand stitched for a while, it was so lovely to get back to. An immediate calm comes over me, as I sit & stitch."

I read once that sewing lowers the blood pressure, so really, it's good for our health. And with the trend back to a simpler life, it makes sense.

1 comment:

  1. My husband encourages my crafting and stitching - he says it makes a better home. So, it sure makes sense in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. Please leave me some comments!